History

The Society of Cytologists and Geneticists was established in the year 1965 with a Steering Committee of six eminent and leading Cytologists and Geneticists Prof. J. Venkateswarlu (Convener), Prof.R.P. Roy (Secretary), Prof. T.N. Khoshoo (Joint Secretary), Prof. A.K. Sharma   (Treasurer), Prof.(Mrs) Archana Sharma (Business Manager), Prof. P.N. Bhaduri (Member) and Prof. M.S. Channaveeraiah (Member). The Society was registered on 2nd December 1968 under Bombay Public Trust Act 1950 with registration No. G.399(DWR).

The Society of Cytologist and Geneticists was started with the following AIMS in preliminary meeting held on 2nd January 1965 at Department of Botany, University of Calcutta, Kolkata.

  1. To provide a common forum for meeting and exchanging ideas in the field of all areas of plant and animal Cytology, Genetics, Evolution, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biotechnology including those of interdisciplinary nature among the scientific workers in India and abroad.
  2. To organize symposia/Semina/Confeence during the annual meeting of the Society at a convenient time and to bring out publications in the form of a journal and in any other manner the Society deems fit, particularly containing original articles and critical reviews. The journal of the Society is published as “THE JOURNAL OF CYTOLOGY AND GENETICS”.

The Society is headquartered in Bengaluru.